Thursday, September 5, 2013

Madama Butterfly

At first I didn't know what to think of this video.  I was shocked in the beginning by the animation which seemed to resemble claymation.  This is definitely a new and creative approach to the Madama Butterfly which we discussed in class.  When I think of Madama Butterfly, I think pure beauty.  However, when I started watching the animation, it was not at all what I expected.  Sapegin put an interesting spin on Madama Butterfly, and at first, it seemed childlike to me.  The claymation did not appeal to me, but as the video progressed I began to understand it more and more.  The love story that the main character faces is both beautiful and disheartening.  She spends her whole life waiting for the love that she can never get back.  The opening scene displays passion, but then that passion eventually fades and the woman is left alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment