Sunday, December 8, 2013

Golan Levin

After watching Golan Levin's question and answer video, I received new information about a topic that I do not know anything about really.  Levin creates fascinating work by the use of computer programming, art, and technology.  He explains how mathematical formulas are used in order to create his works, and to me, that is just crazy to think about.  It amazes me how people, like Levin, have discovered ways to create beautiful pieces of art by using math.  So our high school teaches were right. You really do use math everyday, and Levin understands the math in order to manipulate it and create art.

Levin believes that everyone should learn how to program.  Levin states that as soon as his 4 year old son is a little older, he will start teaching him programming by using Scratch.  He feels that everyone should be familiar with programs such a Java, Frameworks, or C++.  Levin stresses that computer programming is popping up every where in our modern day society and that people need to be knowledgeable about it.  I agree with Levin, and I feel that it would be a very valuable and interesting topic to learn about in order to understand how things are working.

I found it interesting that Levin believes that eventually the computer's artificial intelligence will surpass human intelligence and take over.  Computers are faster and can calculate and generate information in an instant.  So, what is stopping the computer from taking over?  People are becoming more dependent on computers.  We are so quick to go look it up on the computer instead of trying to think about the solution ourselves.  Levin believes that humans will always have the upper-hand on computers, but only time will tell.

Overall, I found this very interesting and enjoyed listening to Levin discuss an obvious passion of his.  I gained some good insight on a new topic and wish that I would have gotten into computer programming years ago because who knows where I could have been now.


No comments:

Post a Comment